Thursday, June 9, 2011

A Craigslist Story

My husband has been without a dresser for about 2 1/2 months now. His clothes are in a plastic bin on the floor. So, for the past 3 or so months, I've been searching Craigslist for a dresser to fit this particular wall in our room. I finally found one this past weekend and I sent my hubby to pick it up.

Here's the dresser he brought home. It's solid wood, but when I saw it in person, I was under-impressed with it. I'm probably going to refinish it and resale it because I just don't like it all that much.


Before he left, he told me he hoped that was the last dresser we'd buy for a while. He said I like looking at dressers on Craigslist too much and was afraid I'd find another one I'd want. Oh, how right he was...

I bookmark any listing that I like but don't necessarily need or it's priced too high for me - just so I can drool over them longer. My favorite listing search is 'dressers' so I have quite a few dressers bookmarked. Monday night I was perusing my bookmarks when I saw a 10 piece french provential bedroom set I'd been wanting but we really don't need marked down from $700 to $250! I couldn't pass it up! Especially since I'd actually contacted the owner several weeks before about 2 of the pieces and she'd wanted $250 for just those two. I told my husband right then that I was going to get them the next day - no options. He was game since the price had dropped so much and he knew I'd been watching that listing for so long.

When I got to the lady's house, I found out that it was actually leftovers from an estate sale and everything left in the house was set to be picked up by a local thrift store in a couple of days. I drooled over a couple more pieces of furniture I knew my husband wouldn't be pleased if I brought home, but I also snagged a heavy, solid wood bookcase for our living room, a cute green glass lamp, a bamboo chair and a small magazine holder (for my friend who helped me load it all up and bring it home) all for $12 dollars!

Here's my lovely new furniture. The bedroom set came with a 5 drawer dresser, 2 nightstands, 2 3-drawer dressers, a vanity that connects the small dressers, a vanity stool, a bench, and 2 twin beds (headboard, footboard and matching rails). After getting it all home and realizing how heavy duty/sturdy this bedroom furniture is, I'm hoping my husband will let me keep it all (instead of refinishing and reselling some like I first thought).

This tall dresser along with the vanity and small dressers are going to be blue and go in my bedroom. (I'm just starting a "re"do of our bedroom.)

These cute nightstands are going to be pink and white when I'm finished with them.

The bedframes will be white when I'm all done. In the picture below, you can see the headboards sticking up out of the middle. One of the footboards is on the front dresser and the rails are on the ground. In the top left corner, you can see the vanity top that connects the 2 smaller dressers.

The square stool goes with the vanity and will be blue also. I'm not sure what I'll do with the bench yet (maybe white?). Buried in the back (which you can't really see) is my new bookcase.

My lamp got a new drum shade and now lives in my living room.
This bamboo-looking chair will get a paint job (not sure on the color yet) and some new upholstery and live in our office - eventually.
I promised my husband the first piece I'd finish is the tall dresser so he can get his clothes off the floor. I'm excited about my furniture and definitely have a lot of work ahead of me!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin