Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Canning Applesauce

This past weekend, I bought a case of apples through Bountiful Baskets, a food co-op we participate in occasionally. It's been MONTHS since the last time I canned and I've been really missing it. I'm weird, I know.

Anyway, I've tried applesauce before and it didn't turn out. After asking my MIL (a canning expert) for some tips, I tried it again and it turned out great! We got 10 quarts and 2 pints, plus we got to use our food dehydrator for the first time and did 5 trays of dried apples (my husband LOVES dried fruit).


With my little girl only 3 weeks old, we did it over Memorial weekend and my husband did a lot of the work. We really enjoy canning together, so it worked out well. I'm hoping to do a lot of canning this summer and fall, so this is just the beginning. I have about 40 lbs of berries in my freezer waiting for me to turn it into jams, syrups and pie fillings. I can hardly wait!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin