Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Organizing and other things

I've been working on organizing my house. You know, the whole, a place for everything type thing. It's a slow process since I can't just go out and buy a ton of cute storage containers. Here's what I've got so far.

We have a coat closet in our house, but it got turned into a food storage closet, so I had to come up with something else for hanging our coats. I bought and stained these peg boards years ago, but never really used the, so I painted them brown and hung them in my entryway for our coats. (The red peg board is now black, but it didn't fit where I had planned to put it and it hasn't found a new home, yet.)
It is so nice to have a place to hang our coats!

In my quest to find creative ways to store/organize toys, I came across a website that had some great ideas. One was a new way to store our growing collection of board games.

Before

After
We put all the small pieces in various sized ziplock bags so they won't spill all over the place and put the boxes on their sides. I told my husband we have room for more board games now!

I'm planning on implementing more of their great ideas in our toy rooms soon. I can hardly wait to have that disaster of a room cleaned up!

I started hanging all our art and pictures and things. I put this little plaque I made in my 9th grade art class on the wall and thought it needed a little something more. This scripture came to mind, so I headed down to my vinyl cutter and cut it out. My parents gave me a ton of leftover tile from their house remodel back in May so I had the tiles. I used Gorilla Epoxy glue (thanks Shanty2Chic for the idea!) to attach sawtooth hangers to the backs last night and hung them up this morning. I think it makes my little plaster mold look more complete, don't you think?

Also with my quest to keep things neat and orderly, I recently bought two baskets. I found them at Big Lots of $5 each. Once I get done painting them (I ran out of spray paint yesterday), and I get a liner made for each of them, they should help keep things on the right level. I plan to put one at the top of the stairs and one at the bottom to keep things that end up on the wrong floor organized, and then we'll swap them at night and put things away. I'll show you the finished project when I get done with them soon.


1 comment:

Sharla said...

Thanks for the idea. I'm going to try this with our games!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin