Thursday, June 10, 2010

Homemade Air Freshener

A few years ago, my friend, Tanya had some homemade air freshener sitting on her kitchen counter. I asked for the recipe and I finally tried it on Tuesday. I'm a little slow sometimes...

This is really easy to make and pretty inexpensive too. I decided to make this, sort of, to commemorate the new Dollar Tree in my favorite shopping area. That and I'm working on some new crafts for future Craft Nights. Basically, you make jello, but out of liquid potpourri and salt instead of a flavor and sugar. I bought my potpourri at the Dollar Tree, but you can find other fragrances at Walmart with the incense stuff in the craft section. I chose Vanilla & Cream.

My husband picked up my last ingredient (gelatin) on his way home from a Cub Scout meeting Tuesday night, so we made it together after he got home.

Here's a picture of my ingredients and written instructions. Boil 1 cup water with 1 cup potpourri, add 2 pkgs flavorless gelatin and 1 tbsp salt (to keep it from molding). Stir until everything's dissolved and pour it into your container. I used a pint jar, but with the added gelatin and salt, it was a touch too small, so I threw away the rest.

Here it is after I poured it into my jar:
And here it is the next morning after I took it out of the fridge:
It slowly "goes away" kind of like those gel-like air fresheners you put in bathrooms. I've been thinking about ways to pretty it up, maybe with a clear cover with holes in it or putting a fake wick in to look like a scented candle. We'll see. I still have a bunch of potpourri left, so I might try out some different ways soon. This was really fun and only took a couple of minutes to make. I have it sitting on the kitchen counter, but I'm planning on making some for each bathroom soon too.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin