We got this rocking chair from my mother-in-law. She found it at a yard sale the summer before we had Son #2. I think she paid $10? It was someone's grandmother's. My MIL brought it down from Washington for us when she came to help out when I had the baby. I really like it, but it was pretty beat up. I think the previous owners must have had a cat, or something with claws. The original plan was to sand it down and stain it dark walnut (this is one of the three projects I was supposed to do last summer before having Son #3). Since I was still working on the cradle, I hadn't touched this chair yet. But, when I decided to paint the nursery furniture white, things sped up quite a bit. I still had to sand it down quite a bit since the previous finish was so worn.
I also got some wood epoxy putty I heard about from this blog to fill in the rocker thingy pictured below. I think I did a good job remaking the front of the rocker part. After sanding it down, I spray painted it with Krylon Satin Ivory which I much prefer over Rustoleum's Heirloom White (what I used on the cradle). I guess I just like ivory better, although to be honest, there's not much difference between the two. I'll eventually replace the brown cushion with a green one since this will go in the nursery and we're doing green and yellow in the nursery after our move. I really like how this turned out!
Also, last week I found a decent computer desk on Craigslist (I'm totally addicted to Craigslist, now). I've had to promise my hubby again that I won't buy anything else on Craigslist, at least until after the move. We honestly have no more room now. We like the desk, but not the color, so I'm painting it black on the back porch. I have just one more coat to add to the drawer section and then I'll get to put it back together.
I'm adding this to Kimba's DIY Day. Go check out some other great projects!